POV Solutions, Inc. was founded in the early 1990's and since it's inception has matured into a formidable, uniquely positioned offset and digital communications company. POV was born out of a necessity for consistent excellence in printing. It was founded on the collaborative efforts of creative thinkers, craftsmen and designers with an eye for detail, who wanted an extra level of control over the printing process. Driven by a long-standing commitment to quality, value and service POV has earned a reputation to prove it.
We work diligently to maintain the quality, integrity and innovation on which our success is built. Experience has shown us that there are more perfectionists out there like us, who understand the value of presentation and appreciate honest work, rather than excuses.
Commercial or “Offset”, or conventional printing, has changed little since the original steam powered offset press was first developed in 1906. It involves a mechanical process of applying layers of ink to paper with a series of rollers. Each roller has its own specified ink – Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black — or CMYK. As each of these rollers pass over the page, they transfer ink and build layers of colors, resulting in complete images and text on the page. Additionally, specialized colors called Pantones or PMS colors can be added to the layout if very specific colors are needed, for instance in a logo. Digital printing eliminates the numerous steps involved in the offset printing process, such as creating films and plates for ink rollers. Most digital presses today apply ink in a single pass from a single ink head, similar to common inkjet printers found in homes and offices. Many different considerations will determine which method is best, such as quantity, timing, and size of the printed piece. Offset printing is commonly used for higher quantity, larger format jobs while digital printing is best applied to smaller format, lesser quantity print runs. Delicious Design’s production department takes all these variables and more into consideration to determine the best possible printing method for each job.
Commercial Printing Pros
- Larger Runs A print quantity of over 500 units is typically well suited for offset printing.
- Larger Format, for instance a 40" press, can accommodate a flat page size of approx. 25" x 38"
- Specialized Colors & Techniques Offset presses can print PMS colors and utilize gloss/dull varnishes for added texture. Additionally, multiple press “heads” allow for an infinite array of colors and printing techniques.
Commercial Printing Cons
- More costly and time consuming A typical offset press requires at least two pressmen to run a job, plus added maintenance, setup, printing plates and specialized inks, which result in higher print costs and increased turn around time.
Digital Printing Pros
- Small Runs Any print quantity under 500 units is typically well suited for a digital press.
- Variable Data Digital presses can print customized copy on each individual piece, such as names and addresses for postcards.
- Cheap and Fast Less setup and maintenance (no films/plates) results in cheaper pricing and quicker turns.
Digital Printing Cons
- Limited Size most digital presses can only accommodate press sheets of up to 18" x 12".
- PMS Colors Digital presses aren’t always exact Pantones, though in recent years, they have become much more apt at closely matching PMS colors.
- Lower Quality The print quality from digital presses is not as refined as offset. But again, technology has come along way and most people can’t tell the difference.
Graphic Design & Marketing
POV Solutions graphic design division delivers compelling and inspired print materials to promote your communication efforts. We’ve applied our decades of experience to establish a small, efficient and effective agency that provides high-caliber graphic design at competitive prices. Our attention to detail and focus on customized design supports your goals in growing your business.
We believe graphic design should be intelligent and imaginative. It assembles information and branding using artistic layout, illustration, typography and photography to provide creative and effective solutions that portray a unique vision and evoke reaction. The creative process always includes many facets in designing the final piece, so that whatever the aim, promotion is absolute.
As technology has advanced over recent years, it is absolutely necessary to consider brand development as a major part of any interactive marketing effort. Being consistent across business cards, brochures, social media and your web site is more important than it’s ever been, and we can help you with that.